Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Health Care Frustrations: A Letter to Health and Human Services Budget Committee

Dear member of the Health and Human Services Budget Division Committee,



“We are not that concerned with these high cost chronic conditions, they cap out very early in their policies and end up on state or federal programs.” This is a quote from a VP of a local health insurance provider that I recently met with. I was shocked to hear this from him. It further concerns me that the CEO of HealthPartners, Mary Brainerd, was quoted recently as saying "We all know we've got a big problem with the state. And I think those of us in health care know that we need to be part of a solution. So having the chance to participate is really worthwhile from my perspective."



It appears to me that the insurance companies are speaking out both sides of their mouths and they are the officials we are looking to for help. Aren’t these the very people that allowed costs to get out of control? I believe the insurance companies have an obligation to do everything in their powers to control these costs and prevent these costs from falling on the taxpayers.



This type of culture seems to contradict what is being said at the capital. WCCO news aired a story recently about Governor Pawlenty’s “Government Reform Summit”. The summit was held at the capital and the budget issues that the state faces in the coming year were discussed. One of the areas that were singled out was the rising cost of health care. ““Yet, the biggest target remains the state's obligation to pay for health and human services costs.” According to Pawlenty, those costs are rising by 20 percent each biennium. He calls that a model for disaster, and said, "We cannot ultimately fix this problem unless we change that trajectory.””



On February 24th, 2009, President Obama gave a speech to the joint session, in his speech he talked about health care reform. He singled out prevention as a significant source for savings. He said “And -- and it makes the largest investment ever in preventive care, because that's one of the best ways to keep our people healthy and our costs under control.”



This is why I am requesting a meeting with you at your earliest convenience. We can get our costs under control and we can change the trajectory by utilizing some simple yet highly effective programs. I own a company that specializes in providing services and products to people with bleeding disorders. We offer a high intensity case management program that focuses on prevention, education, physical therapy and fitness to help contain the costs of treating this disease. Through our program, we have been able to show significant decreases in utilization of expensive factor products while at the same time improving the health and functional abilities of each patient.



I recently met with Representative Paul Thissen to discuss with him how CoaguLife Pharmacy can help the state of Minnesota save millions of dollars per year on Healthcare. In fact we have already saved the state of Minnesota over seven million dollars during the past three and a half years.



I am also reaching out to the local media outlets to let them know of these programs and the extraordinary cost savings potential it has to the state of Minnesota and its taxpayers. In addition I wish to share with them my stories of frustration with gaining access to patients due to our existing health insurance system.



I would like very much to meet with you in person so I may explain to you in greater detail how our program works, why it is so effective and how it can save the state of Minnesota millions of dollars. It seems to me that with the budget issues we face today it is in everybody’s best interest to thoroughly explore all reasonable options. I can assure you that this will not be a waste of your time. We are not looking to create any new programs nor are we looking for any additional fees or funding. If I have not heard from you within the next few weeks I will contact your office to set up an appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment